help-rcs

Re: RCS and checksum

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: RCS and checksum
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:53:08 -0700

On 09/14/10 10:45, Guido Sette wrote:
> Any advice on how to improve that approximative code?
>
> Now, if only I could find a way to automatically verify the checksum at
> checkout...

The code looks all right, for starters.  You can verify the checksum
by using "rlog" to find out what the checksum should be, and using
"md5sum" to verify the checksum.

By the way, md5sum has been cracked to some extent; if you want
a checksum that is cryptographically secure, I suggest SHA-2,
e.g., sha224sum or better.