help-rcs

RCS and checksum

From: Guido Sette
Subject: RCS and checksum
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 13:52:14 +0200

Hello,

Being a writer, I find RCS is still the best VCS for my needs.

I tried CVS, SVN, Git, Darcs, but RCS is just perfect for what I need: a single
user, single file, plain-text, local control system.

Some say RCS is outdated, and Why one should waste time on such an old
application? To me, old not always means worse; quite often it means better.
And I personally find RCS is definitely better than others more modern and
advanced systems, of course in respect to those aspects.

Anyway, there is only one thing that I would like to have, and that is
checksums.

I searched for options, and I found MD5RCS[^1].

It uses a patched version of rlog, and it seem to almost work, except that,
when I tried to manually "corrupt" a revision inside a test.txt,v file, md5rcs
declared all of the revisions were corrupted.

Is there any alternative to that application, to compute and verify checksums
(md5 or others) on individual revisions of a RCS file?

Perhaps a simple shell script to invoke before checking in and out?

Thank you very much in advance

Sincerely,

Guido Sette

[^1]: http://www.network-theory.co.uk/articles/md5rcs.html