help-rcs

Re: how is lock owner determined?

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: how is lock owner determined?
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:24:44 +0000 (UTC)

Paul Eggert wrote:

> RCS uses the LOGNAME environment variable to determine who the user
> is, with respect to record keeping.  Set LOGNAME and all should be
> well, as far as the strings RCS puts into each file.

Thanks!  Setting LOGNAME to the the name of the UID fixes the problem.
Unless I am mistaken, this doesn't seem to be noted in the documention.
(Perhaps if LOGNAME doesn't exist, RCS falls back on UID?)

I think it is matter of more than just the strings RCS puts into the log
file, as apparently RCS will refuse to check in a file if the user name of
the person attempting to check in a file doesn't match the locker (as
determined by the user name string, not a UID).

- Will