help-rcs

how is lock owner determined?

From: Will Parsons
Subject: how is lock owner determined?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:03:53 +0000 (UTC)

I am running a daemon which executes RCS commands on behalf of remote
clients (platform is FreeBSD).  The daemon attempts to set its real and
effective UID to that of the requesting client, and printing out the UID &
EUID seems to verify that this is successful.  Nevertheless, when a file is
checked out, it gets locked as root rather the new UID.  I thought that the
lock should be owned by the real UID, is this not necessarily the case?

- Will