help-rcs

Re: Problem with RCS finding diff

From: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
Subject: Re: Problem with RCS finding diff
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:42:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, sharon Stanfill wrote:

> Could you just make a softlink from /usr/bin/diff to /usr/local/bin/diff?
> That's probably what I would do.

This would be insufficient.  RCS needs GNU diff, because of the
extra options that some native diffs don't support.  If Gnu diff is
installed, its default location for most Unix flavours is
/usr/local/bin.  This will solve the problem without creating new
ones like "option -u not recognised" etc.

> At 09:18 AM 2/21/2003 -0500, Justin DelVecchio wrote:
        [...]
> >3.  I go to 'ci' the file and get the following message:
> >
> >/usr/local/bin/diff: not found
> >ci:RCS/hello.txt,v: diff failed
> >ci aborted

        [...]