help-gv

Re: [help-gv] view two pages?

From: Janek Kozicki
Subject: Re: [help-gv] view two pages?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 09:32:57 +0200

Karl Berry said:     (by the date of Sun, 8 Oct 2006 19:04:25 -0500)

>     ok.. after tinkering with the code for few hours I understood why this
>
> Thanks for trying -- that's more than anyone else has ever done!

uh :/ in fact I have seen in the code how the interpreter 'gs' is called
to render the page. And now I think that using this mechanism it will be
easier for me to write a new viewwer, than modify this one. Of course
it's only because I'm not the original author, so my knowledge about
this code is limited very much. But I don't have enough time for that,
so I'll have to stick with gv, as It's the best one I have found out
there.

> I found programming with X very painful, and haven't done it in quite a
> few years, so unfortunately I don't have any good hints :(.
>
>     gv is so fast, that's why I prefer it over the multitide of other
>     viewers. It is really faster, about 3x to 20x faster.
>
> Interesting.  I haven't noticed it being much, if any, faster than xpdf.
> (Acrobat is another matter. :)

yes, but xpdf doesn't (as far as I know..):

- read .ps files
- display two pages
- watches files, to automatically update when file has changed

those are the features that I need :) However next time when I'll have
some time, I'll check out the code of xpdf, maybe it will be easier to
tinker with (to add missing features...)