[Help-gnu-radius] : Users still logged in after ras crashes

From: ETI - Barry Irchad Kader
Subject: [Help-gnu-radius] : Users still logged in after ras crashes
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:40:30 +0000

Hi!

Here is my problem:

Our RAS sometimes hangs and needs to be restarted. The documentation of the
RAS (A Multitech RasExpress) does not specify how it interacts with
accounting servers, so I don't really know if it sends Accounting On Packets
to the radius servers. The radius.log does not show such packets in its
output.

So, when I restart this RAS, here is what happens: users who were logged in
before the crash are _still_ considered as logged in by the radius, which is
normal since the RAS didn't inform the radius that it went down because of
some technical reason... So when these users try to log in again, they
receive a nice message informing them that they are already logged in -
which is a normal message, but I don't think they will appreciate this
explanation...

Till now, the only way I found to solve/mask the problem was to set
Simultaneous-Use = 2 for DEFAULT Auth-Type in raddb/users file. But this is
not a way to solve the problem, is it?

So, I'm asking for your advices.

My first idea was to write a script that would compare the last accounting
packet date to now and, if this date is very old compared to now (but, what
is very old?) then update the accounting data for this user by inserting an
accounting off status. But how can I walk through this solution? I mean, how
can I _modify_ the accounting status? I took a look to radutmp and radwtmp
files, hoping that I would only have to modify some lines in these files but
gave up: these files has strange contents...

I'm a bit lost.

Is there anybody who struggles with this kind of ras (that does not send
accounting on/off packets)? And, sorry if this is not the right place to
ask, but what is for you the best ras you would suggest me to get in
replacement of this multitech?

SOS sent to the sea, captain.

Regards,
Kader