Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Ascend DNS attributes?

From: jason . messer
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Ascend DNS attributes?
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 13:01:51 +0000

> > The Ascend boxes actually support two orthogonal sets of attributes:
> > the usual attributes (with numbers less than 256), and the vendor
> > specific ones. The NAS can be configured to use only one set of
>
> Actually TAOS supports three different modes for attributes:
>
> 1) Old mode - All Attributes use RFC attribute space and some conflicts exist
>
> 2) VSA mode - Support RFC attributes and 256 Vendor attributes using the RFC
> recommended VSA format
>
> 3) 16Bit mode - Support RFC Attributes and 65535 Vendor attributes using a 16
> bit attribute number in the VSA.

This brings up a question I've had about mixed encodings in requests and

TAOS seems to be fairly lenient in what it accepts. To enable MOH-Timeout I
send a VSA with the Lucent-Id and the 16-bit encoding, but the same accept
contains VSAs with the Ascend-Id and 8-bit encoding. Does sending work the
same way? I'm curious because the current inbound packet parser fails a packet
containing a VSA with 16-bit encoding (I know - should be undistinguished
octets), as soon as that is taken care of we will probably want to enable
16-bit mode on the NAS and I'd like to keep the active dictionary as small as
possible.