Re: Inputting UTF8 in Emacs

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Inputting UTF8 in Emacs
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 16:39:48 +0000

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

On Sunday, December 17th, 2023 at 3:20 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 14:58:35 +0000
> > From: uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > > This already exists: use M-<DOWN> and M-<UP> arrow keys.
> >
> > `C-x 8 RET M-<DOWN>' takes a long time to load and display.
>

> No, not `C-x 8 RET M-<DOWN>'. I meant this:
>

> C-x 8 RET LOG TAB TAB M-<DOWN>
>
> > All the UTF8 characters get displayed in a long list with M-<DOWN>
> > and M-<UP> moving a character at a time.
> >
> > My interest is in displaying a page (e.g. a table) at a time with just the
> > UTF8 characters of a particular set. And shifting one set at a time.
> >
> > To have an idea, consider the case if `C-x 8 RET M-<DOWN>' shows the first
> > character set (e.g. Arrows). Then pressing "M-<DOWN>" again shows the next
> > character set (e.g. Math Operators), and so on. Makes browsing the UTF8
> > characters much faster and you are moving by Character Set rather them by
> > Character Glyph.
>

> This is not what "C-x 8 RET" is for. You want a command that shows
> Unicode characters by Unicode blocks, and then allows inserting some
> character. I'm sure someone has already written something like that,
> so maybe search the various ELPAs.

Yes, stepping through entire Unicode blocks is what I would like to have.
And with the display looking like the usual emacs display when using

C-x 8 RET LOG TAB TAB

Which shows both the glyph and the name in table form.

Is this something difficult to code ?  Emacs could have some added
functionality that could help making such an implementation.