Re: Inputting UTF8 in Emacs

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Inputting UTF8 in Emacs
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 20:16:51 +0000

On Sunday, December 17th, 2023 at 6:38 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:06:16 +0000
> > From: uzibalqa uzibalqa@proton.me
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > > We could have anything, but someone will have to write the code, and
> > > we will then need to decide that the addition is important enough to
> > > have it bundled with Emacs (as opposed to having a separate package
> > > that interested users will need to install). AFAIR, currently Emacs
> > > doesn't even know the names of the blocks, because it is not important
> > > for supporting Unicode characters in Emacs.
> >
> > It would be easier for insertions when knowing the name is not
> > straightforward.
> >
> > I can work on making the block names if I get some hints on what has to be
> > done.
> > Or perhaps a schematic I can follow. Does this require lot of elisp
> > experience?
>

> I don't know what has to be done, it depends on what kind of feature
> and UI you have in mind.

Something similar to doing

C-x 8 RET mathematical TAB TAB

but for blocks.  Where a table gets displayed and one selects
with M-Up and M-Down, showing both the symbol and name.

A problem with

C-x 8 RET mathematical TAB TAB

is that it only shows letters, and does not include mathematical operators.

Just categorising with "mathematical" is still too broad.

> > > If you are interested in mathematical symbols, then this should do:
> > >
> > > C-x 8 RET mathematical TAB TAB
> > >
> > > then keep hitting TAB to scroll through the list, or use M-<DOWN> and
> > >
> > > M-<UP> keys.
> >
> > Mathematical Symbols function like Emojis, it is easier to pick up the
> > mathematical symbol you want rather than using their textual description.
>

> I don't agree. What's unclear about a name such as "MATHEMATICAL BOLD
> CAPITAL A"?

I never want NEITHER GREATER-THAN NOR EQUIVALENT TO

And much rather select the symbol directly.  Emacs only supporting names
without showing the symbol is very annoying and time consuming.