Re: Strategies for Composable Modular Configuration?

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Strategies for Composable Modular Configuration?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 14:19:03 +0300

I'm not sure that I fully understand what you're suggesting... I've been a casual Nixos user for years and even contribute from time to time, but nothing made me really care about flakes. So to try and explain this in a more practical manner, it's something like this:

There's a portal lets say emacs-tweaks.gnu.org. It operates much the same way as a package repository, but the contents of it are not features(packages), but tweaks(flakes, pedals, whatever). The difference between a feature and a tweak is roughly that features implement new behavior, while tweaks just modify existing features to some requirement.

Your definition of tweaks also does not allow for composition. Which means that most of them are limited to a single feature, which IMHO is not going to provide much ROI either. Because most of those tweaks are going to be isolated single variable tweaks and that's not where the problem lies. It's also not going to fully take over most of the configuration needs because you can't re-implement Spacemacs(on Doom, whatever) using such a limited system.

Correct me if I misunderstood anything.