Strategies for Composable Modular Configuration?

From: Psionic K
Subject: Strategies for Composable Modular Configuration?
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 16:25:38 +0900

AFAIK, if we compare Emacs configuration to NixOS configuration, Elisp
lacks the composable module system.

A consequence is that users cannot easily delegate out the declaration of
configuration in whole or in part.  If I like someone's org mode defaults,
they cannot provide and I cannot consume that configuration except manually
because infrastructure for declaring its boundaries and how to compose it
with my own modifications doesn't exist.

What we would do with a composable module system is, for example, install
and configure a coherent set of minibuffer focused packages but without
getting in the way of the user providing extra configuration on top or
overriding attributes of the module either in a first-class or adhoc way.

1.  What prior art can I look at
2.  What implementation strategies appear viable
3.  Did DOOM and Spacemacs get some things right?

Thanks
--

남백호
대표 겸 공동 창업자