Re: Strategies for Composable Modular Configuration?

From: Psionic K
Subject: Re: Strategies for Composable Modular Configuration?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 22:58:40 +0900

If abstracting settings by grouping and naming them, yes, the result is
indirection.  I agree that this approach fails to deliver ROI.  IIRC both
Doom and Spacemacs style configuration involves named abstraction of groups
of settings and also cascading some settings into other settings
(composition, but without nearly the discipline of a Nix style solution).

So, for example I decide to use the flight sim
> rudder pedals in my Emacs configuration. Obviously I want them to
> iterate over items. So lets say Emacs had
> item-iteration-binding-protocol.

This is also an abstraction by naming style solution.  While it does make
declarations more generic, such declarations must be concurrently
implemented with broad consensus or else it will become  inconsistently
applied indirection.  The ecosystem cannot move in this way except for
problems of near ubiquitous frequency.

Superimposing configuration works differently.  Instead of the packages you
consume providing a generic interface, you would use a "pedals" declaration
that can produce every variation of just the additional contents that each
minibuffer configuration would need.  When adding all the declarations, if
the set doesn't exist, the contents are never calculated and the addition
is no-op.  The minibuffer packages don't care, and maintenance is
completely centralized into the one "pedals" declaration.

Because each group of users who wants a "pedals" can create and maintain it
without any cooperation with the packages they depend on, it's adding
opt-in cooperative gains without organizational complexity for maintainers
in the ecosystem.  It is not easier for the individual pedals users.  It is
easier for groups of users that are larger than individuals but much much
smaller than those with near ubiquitous problems.

Superimposing is a simple union of declarations.  For some strict subset of
possible use-package expressions (ones written with one preferred way for
everything instead of doing things however one pleases), it's trivial to
implement, can express everything, and is transparent to debug.  Discipline
in the Nix community with the introduction of Flakes has been very good to
the ecosystem.

We can leave composition alone.  Composition relies on a fixed point
calculation, a recursive lazy merge where declarations thunk on each other
until everything resolves or a loop is found.  The value add is not
incredible compared to the complexity.  For Emacs users, 90% of the
maintenance overhead and new user setup can be handled by simple union of
declarations.

--

남백호
대표 겸 공동 창업자