Re: Words with spaces highlighted in elisp-mode comments

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Words with spaces highlighted in elisp-mode comments
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 08:00:30 +0200

uzibalqa wrote:

>> But comments are already font locked into
>> `font-lock-comment-face' (there is also a`
>> font-lock-comment-delimiter-face', IMO it is overkill to
>> have that in another color than `font-lock-comment-face').
>
> I do not see the usefulness of coloring the comment
> delimiter separately (because that affects all comments in
> the same way, no distinguishing feature whatsoever ).

Indeed, I think all comments should be of the same color,
including the delimiters.

> We can keep highlighting with a back-quote for things that
> can be evaluated (e.g. `something')

Agreed, that is the exception that proves the rule. I could
also think of hyperlinking them to the help, as has been
suggested not that long ago. In ERC it is already like that
BTW, and here is some more work on that:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc/erc-man.el

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/erc/erc-show-modes.el

But putting point at the beginning of `something' and doing
`C-h f' isn't that much of a deal, which is the reason I think
no one has cared about it enough to do it.

But I like all integration things, big and small, so why not.
Here it should be noted that they already get
`font-lock-constant-face', if it sounds here like nothing at
all happens to the poor things.

> and use single-quote for more general case that allows
> spaces (e.g. 'this and that').

But what do that express? What's the intended usage? Can you
provide a piece of Elisp, where you use that proposed syntax
for us to see?

> We should not use multiple comment characters (e.g. ;;;
> Something) because those are for outlines - something of
> a completely different orthogonal purpose.

As long as it has a purpose, it can be font locked in
a distinguished way. If it should, in this case, is another
thing, but it could, and it wouldn't be wrong to do. But if it
should, I don't know, especially since comments in a uniform
color simply looks  much better.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal