Re: Words with spaces highlighted in elisp-mode comments

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Words with spaces highlighted in elisp-mode comments
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 03:02:58 +0200

uzibalqa wrote:

>>> comments, words within single quotes get highlighted.
>>> It would be beneficial if arbitrary text is also
>>> highlighted within single quotes (e.g. text with spaces).
>>
>> I don't understand what 'ooh' and 'ooh aah' means in Elisp,
>> do you?
>>
>> But it is clear the oohs and the aahs are treated
>> differently by Emacs as 'ooh' gets the
>> `font-lock-constant-face' and with the whitespace, as you
>> say, it doesn't.
>>
>> You can evaluate 'ooh' (into ooh) but not use it in code,
>> 'ooh aah' cannot be evaluated.
>
> Highlighting some text in comments would be beneficial.

But comments are already font locked into
`font-lock-comment-face' (there is also
a `font-lock-comment-delimiter-face', IMO it is overkill to
have that in another color than `font-lock-comment-face').

I don't see why 'ooh' within a comment should be colorized any
other way than the comment, since that syntax don't denote
anything in Elisp. If you intend to use it as labels, and to
put them aside as a special color, I'd say there are better
ways to do that, namely stack semi-colons in different numbers
denoting different things, so that, for example

;; this is a general comment <-- one face

(setq one 1) ; don't do that <-- comment that refers to one line

;;; this is a LABEL, as seen in Lisp packages <-- one face for that
(code (code ...)
(code (code ...)

This would also be safe to implement because if someone didn't
like it, it could be default be set so that all those Lisp
levels of comments initially were set to the same color.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal