Re: Words with spaces highlighted in elisp-mode comments

From: uzibalqa
Subject: Re: Words with spaces highlighted in elisp-mode comments
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 11:47:40 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Wednesday, July 19th, 2023 at 1:02 PM, Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org>
wrote:

> > > I don't understand what 'ooh' and 'ooh aah' means in Elisp,
> > > do you?
> > >
> > > But it is clear the oohs and the aahs are treated
> > > differently by Emacs as 'ooh' gets the
> > > `font-lock-constant-face' and with the whitespace, as you
> > > say, it doesn't.
> > >
> > > You can evaluate 'ooh' (into ooh) but not use it in code,
> > > 'ooh aah' cannot be evaluated.
> >
> > Highlighting some text in comments would be beneficial.
>

> But comments are already font locked into
> `font-lock-comment-face' (there is also a` font-lock-comment-delimiter-face',
> IMO it is overkill to
> have that in another color than `font-lock-comment-face').

I do not see the usefulness  of colouring the comment delimiter separately
(because that
affects all comments in the same way, no distinguishing feature whatsoever ).
We can keep
highlighting with a back-quote for things that can be evaluated (e.g.
`something') and
use single-quote for more general case that allows spaces (e.g. 'this and
that').

We should not use multiple comment characters (e.g. ;;; Something) because
those are
for outlines - something of a completely different orthogonal purpose.