Re: Compare Note Taking Apps and Emacs.

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Compare Note Taking Apps and Emacs.
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 17:45:47 +0200

> There was a popular application for Windows (sounds more
> like MacOS but I think it was Windows), this application
> gained some fame and for some time there wasn't, maybe still
> isn't a FOSS Unix equivalent up to strength really up there
> to compete, this despite the seemingly trivial task of
> putting up notes.
>
> But for us that are used to using text files in an editor for
> everything, I guess Emacs is number one for taking notes
> as well.

But, can you do _this_ in the popular note apps?

[Actually, the software of choise here would be a spreadsheet,
 which we have in-house in Emacs for that matter. But, doing
 it in Elisp just makes it more interesting and fun! See also
 how much fun you can have with the interesting
 mini/sub-language of `cl-loop', but it is an acquired taste.]

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;
;; this file:
;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/tent.el

(require 'cl-lib)

(when nil
  (cl-loop
    with gear = '(
                  ("tent"                    2530)
                  ("sleeping bag"            1215)
                  ("sleeping pad"             895)
                  ("comic book"               605)
                  ("rubber mallet"            460)
                  ("head torch 3*AAA"         110)
                  ("bottle"                   100)
                  ("firelighter"               58)
                  ("flashlight 1*AAA"          33)
                  ("lighter"                   22)
                  ("knife"                    nil)
                  ("spiritmethylated spirit"  nil)
                  ("trangia"                  nil)
                 )
    with weight = 0
    with items  = (length gear)
    for (_ w) in gear
    do (when (numberp w)
         (cl-incf weight w) )
    finally return (format "items: %s\nweight: %s g" items weight) ))

(provide 'tent)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal