gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on an application
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 15:47:18 -0300

El miércoles, 24 de octubre de 2018 15:27:39 -03 Gary E. Miller escribió:
> Yo Lisandro!
>
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 14:53:42 -0300
>
> Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:
> > El miércoles, 24 de octubre de 2018 14:50:32 -03 Gary E. Miller
> >
> > escribió:
> > > Yo Lisandro!

> > > You got your options.  Pick  one.
> >
> > Proper public API, for sure.
>
> You got it.  So I fail to see the problem.

Or you might not consider public API as much as other do. Please do not take
any kind of offense in there, but yes, I'm of the lot who considers public
stable API a great thing to develop on.

That includes proper SONAME handling, which I know it's sometimes not easy.

> > > Look at the Chrome or Firefox source code lately?  They feel
> > > differently.
> >
> > Yes, and I also happen to maintain QtWebkit in Debian (actually, the
> > whole Qt) and I know the PITA they represent.
>
> One mans PITA is another man's safe place.  You ever read the Google
> critiques of Debian?

Yes, and I also have my critiques on Debian too. But proper library handling
is above that.

> > > If you have a solution, then what is the problem?
> >
> > Just a libQ*5*gpsmm would be enough, really.
>
> You got it.  So I fail to see the problem?  For some reason Debian's
> idea of naming is different than most other peoples...

You can name it what you want, really. It's just that if a library uses one Qt
version and the other another, exposing it's public API, then the two must be
seen as totally different things. Having libQgpsmm for Qt4 and libQt5gpsmm for
Qt5 allows a packager to provide both versions of it, and application
developers rely on one or another without issues.

But well, I ended up adding a QSocketNotifier to gps_fd, as provided by
libgps. It's a solution non the less.

So, even if we might disagree, thanks *a lot* for the help. At very least I
got to read more gpsd code and understand what's under the hood.

Thanks!

--
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
 -- Groucho Marx

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/