gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on

From: Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] External main loop. Was: Correct way to handle 5 Hz on an application
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 14:53:42 -0300

El miércoles, 24 de octubre de 2018 14:50:32 -03 Gary E. Miller escribió:
> Yo Lisandro!
>
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 14:42:10 -0300
>
> Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Sure.  gpsd has no idea how to build your project.  Nothing to
> > > stop you just copying libgps_core.c into your project.
> >
> > Proper dependencies handling, of course.  Embedding external code is
> > just plain bad practice.
>
> You got your options.  Pick  one.

Proper public API, for sure.

> > > I'm still unsure what is stopping you.  That code is right there.
> > > Just use libgps_sock.c.  You do not need to use the libs from gpsd
> > > to use the API from gpsd.
> >
> > Yes, a proper library only provides headers! If I need to recompile
> > libgps_sock then I'm doing it wrong. Embedding is bad, really.
>
> Look at the Chrome or Firefox source code lately?  They feel differently.

Yes, and I also happen to maintain QtWebkit in Debian (actually, the whole Qt)
and I know the PITA they represent.

> > So by using libqgpsmm against Qt5 I get everything I need using just
> > a precompiled distro package!
>
> If you have a solution, then what is the problem?

Just a libQ*5*gpsmm would be enough, really.

--
8: Si un archivo ha pasado a la "Papelera de Reciclaje"
    * Ud tiene una carpeta llamada "Papelera de Reciclaje"

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/