gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Create an SVG skyview image from JSON data

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Create an SVG skyview image from JSON data
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 11:59:17 -0700

Yo Niccolo!

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 18:33:48 +0200
Niccolo Rigacci <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I have trouble with your sample output, I could not get it to
> > render.
>
> It should be fixed now.

Good to be an optimist.  But...

Firefox displays you sample fine, but "display skyview.svg" still
has a few issues.  Like the sat boxes are empty, no PRN.

Typo: "Satellites Signal Strenght",  First: mis-spelled.  Second:
flat wrong.  It is "Satellite SNR" and in Signal to Noise Ratio.
GPS receivers do not care (much) about the "strenght", they care
about the SNR.

DOP is not precision.  DOP is only loosely related to precision.
If you are going to display a DOP, then call it a DOP.

A plot of DOP, with no axis marking of the values, is nt useful.

validator.w3c.org still has complaints:

"Warning Consider adding a lang attribute to the html start tag to
declare the language of this document."

Validator still thinks the code is: SVG 1.1 + HTML + MathML 3.0.

When I force validation as SVG 1.1:

"The DOCTYPE Declaration for 'SVG 1.1' has been inserted at the start of
the document, but even if no errors are shown below the document will
not be Valid until you add the new DOCTYPE Declaration. "

And:

"<style> The attribute given above is required for an element that
you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and
XHTML document types the 'type' attribute is required on the 'script'
element and the 'alt' attribute is required for the 'img' element."

I don't think the usage at the top is correct:

# How to get some SKY data in JSON format:
#   gpspipe -r | gpsdecode

gpsdecode s/b skyview2svg ?

Maybe something like this?

# gpspipe -w -n 200 | ./skyview2svg > skyview.svg

Nothing I tried worked...

Also, maybe sort the PRN's in the SNR bar chart?

> > All gpsd code passes pycodestyle (PEP8 checks), but yours has
> > 68 issues:
>
> I fixed all the issues, except for the "E501 line too long". Now

Yeah, we let those happen.  As you say, too hard to fix readably.

> I fixed also some pylint issues, but it barks to me because I put
> the program logic directly into the script body. Do you have some
> hints?

Use the pylintrc in the gpsd tar ball.  That shuts up a lot of the junk.
Then just look for obvious things like unused variables, used before
set variables, etc.

> I wish to mantain it as a very simple script, which
> everyone with modest programming knowledge can customize.

Yup, we like KISS.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588