Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 06:18:54 +0000

On 13 Feb 2007, at 03:19, Andrew Ruder wrote:

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 03:59:06AM +0100, Nicola Pero wrote:
And then adding an external dependency - which is a massive pain for
users, developers and maintainers - just to do the equivalent of 'echo
$CFLAGS' is somehow hardly attractive.

An extra dependency here is not an issue, especially considering the
widespread use of pkg-config.  I'm still scratching my head here
figuring out why it is so often claimed an issue throughout this thread
when most people will already have this on their system.

An extra dependency most emphatically IS an issue ... because the 'people' you are referring to actually just means 'you', and you are just guessing about other users, and even assuming that 'most' is actually the case, then what you are proposing is to have something that only works for 'most', not for all. Is your guess that 'most' is 55%, 70%, 95%? At what point is the remaining 45%, 30%, 5% sufficiently small a minority that they become a non-issue?

GNUstep is supposed to be a cross-platform development system, and anyone who actually does cross platform development would hit a problem with pkg-config. Dependency issues do not rule out using things (indeed, GNUstep has plenty of dependencies), but they are a big factor to consider, and only appear minor to the people they don't happen to effect, so when adding a dependency we need to be clear that what we are adding has overwhelming advantages over the alternatives. While pkg-config is quite nice (and looking at it provides inspiration), it has no such advantages.