Re: gnustep-make experiment

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 03:59:06 +0100 (CET)

>> You can have non-flattened multi-platform installations that are
>> mounted from
>> the network; the same gnustep-make will then use different
>> compilation
>> flags/tools for the different hosts (keep in mind that each host
>> might also
>> have a different
>> filesystem configuration, eg, they could be sharing a network-mounted
>> System
>> domain,
>> while having different domains in different locations).
>
> this is also possible if you split up the .pc files one for each
> domain configuration
> then the different hosts can configure their PKG_CONFIG_PATH's to
> different search orders so each machine/user gets different
> configurations for different.

What I was trying to explain is that pkg-config only prints a set of fixed
flags from
a text file.  But that's the very easy bit! ;-)

The hard part in the implementation is actually getting the flags.  The only
easy way I can think of doing that is by having a quick gnustep-make run with
some special targets that just print the values.  This can be embedded
into a gnustep-config script, since we are free to put whatever shell code
we want into gnustep-config. :-)

So, in all cases we need to have a gnustep-config script that outputs the flags,
and implemented as explained (that script will also work on all platforms).

I suppose using this gnustep-config script you could then generate .pc files
and put them somewhere ... so people can use pkg-config instead of
gnustep-config
to print the flags on Linux. ;-)

I can't see why they would want to do that though, as the tools could have a
similar syntax,
but gnustep-config would be automatically available everywhere gnustep-make is,
while
pkg-config wouldn't.  So anyone who understands what they are doing will always
want
to use gnustep-config for portability. ;-)

This is not because of some evil prejudice against pkg-config, it's just that
the building
system we have works in a different way.  Getting the compile/link flags so
that you're able
to compile/link things without using gnustep-make is certainly something we
want to be able
to support, but the fact that pkg-config can print flags reading from a text
file doesn't
really help in getting there.  Because we don't even store fixed sets of flags,
but we
compute them dynamically, using pkg-config to print them is more of an
additional problem
than a solution.

And then adding an external dependency - which is a massive pain for users,
developers
and maintainers - just to do the equivalent of 'echo $CFLAGS' is somehow hardly
attractive.

Thanks