Re: Can we include NSDebugLog in non-debug libraries?

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Can we include NSDebugLog in non-debug libraries?
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:25:30 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:

> Dennis Leeuw wrote:
>

> > So the question is, what do developers want if we were to supply binaries,
> > since that answers Adam's question too, because that should be the default
> > I guess, since developers are our primary audience?
> >

> Well as an experienced developer, I want as much info as possible
> (including everything with debug=yes), but then I'd probably compile
> everything myself anyway.

Thought so ;)

> I was thinking more of perhaps the developer who is just starting out.
> Who expects GNUstep to be bug free ( ;-) ) or doesn't know about the
> debugging option or perhaps just starts out with your SPM to see what's
> up. Eventually I'd like to include some kind of automatic backtrace when
> an exception or crash occurs. It would generate a file that you could
> mail to the bug-gnustep list that would allow us to figure out the
> problem. I think some kind of package like that exists for OpenStep or
> NeXTStep but I forgot the name.

So if I compile the SPM packages with debug=yes or when debug=yes is the
default and I strip the packages, is there enough information left for you to
do those backtraces?
Because that would be a nice compromise between backtracing and keeping
packages small. And what strip option(s) keeps the right information present?

Thanks,

Dennis