Re: Can we include NSDebugLog in non-debug libraries?

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Can we include NSDebugLog in non-debug libraries?
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 08:48:13 +0100

Adam Fedor wrote:

> I'd like to compile in the NSDebugLog definitions even when the base
> library is compile without debug=yes. The reason is that many beginners,
> in particular, don't compile debug-enabled libraries. I think using the
> NSDebugLog feature would make it easier to diagnose problems (even
> without use of gdb). How much of a performance problem would this be, if
> any?

Okay, this is probably the time to ask something that has been on my mind
for some time:

How much of the Debugging information is needed for a development
environment? Meaning I am used to compiling stuff with the least possible
debuging information and stripping as much as possible, to keep the actual
binaries as small as possible for the user.
I can however imagine that if a software package is used by a developer
that he/she wants as much debugging information and as less stripping as
possible.
For this same reason I didn't strip the supplied GNUstep packages with SPM.
But still Debugging is set to no.

So the question is, what do developers want if we were to supply binaries,
since that answers Adam's question too, because that should be the default
I guess, since developers are our primary audience?

Greetings,

Dennis Leeuw