gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] folder size view

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] folder size view
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:54:46 +0100

> Retrieving the sizes of subdirs can be very expensive. IMHO making it a
> 'mode', can considerably slow operations - every time you change dir
> you'll have to wait until it ends.

Yes, i can imagine. It's clearly a mode that you'd turn 'on' only when you're
directly in place, where you want to analyze the sizes. After you're done,
turn off.
I mean, it's one key press for on and one for off - if you're analyzing two
different directories (maybe comparing with a backup) then you're already even,
any more and you're btter off with a permanent switcher.

> Moreover calculated values might not be accurate, as gcmd can't monitor the
> changes
> in the subdirs, so the 'ALT+Shift+Enter' mode can be misleading.

Hmm, that's a point. Or would it update to the actual values with Ctrl+Shift+R
reload ?

> I'm parking this idea with not very high priority - maybe in some
> time...

yes ok, expected that. Just wanted to archive the idea :)