gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] folder size view

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] folder size view
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:20:43 +0100

> The Alt+Shift+Enter folder size view is just great. (There are so many
> features of gcmd that i still not really discovered!) But, it's only a
> volatile view isn't it - any operation, and it's gone.
> Here's my idea. Would it be difficult to have that view 'fixed' in a way that
> you can click in column 'size' and have it all sorted after that ?

Yes, it should be a bit more permanent and should not reset while
sorting. I'm scheduling that on my todo list.

> If that would mean, switching has to be into 'always folder size' mode, then
> i think that would be also ok. And if you're done with it you could, for
> example, do another ALT+Shift+Enter to switch back to normal mode; so that
> this key combo would be just a permanent switcher.

Retrieving the sizes of subdirs can be very expensive. IMHO making it a
'mode', can considerably slow operations - every time you change dir
you'll have to wait until it ends. Moreover calculated values might not
be accurate, as gcmd can't monitor the changes in the subdirs, so the
'ALT+Shift+Enter' mode can be misleading.

I'm parking this idea with not very high priority - maybe in some
time...