gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Migration to C++

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Migration to C++
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:42:59 +0100

> You said you've migrated from C to C++ but apart .c renamed to .cc, I
> don't see any C++ code here : same structs as before, same functions
> taking pointer to structs as arguments, no gtkmm headers, etc ...
>
> I'm sure you really want to migrate to C++, but the transition is not
> finished yet, it just have begun.

Yes and no... ;o)

GCMD can be now compiled as C++ app - so  from my (somehow limited)
point of view it is already migrated (and believe me - it has not only
been just renaming from *.c to *.cc ;o) The current code is ready for
using C++ features, although I do not plan to rewrite code from scratch,
maybe in a future just by the way...

Yes, you're right GCMD relies heavily on plain old C constructs
(pointers, structs, ...) at the moment - the transition is not finished,
it's just the beginning... But as I can see it - the change will allow
faster coding and possibility of importing the best things from other
projects ;o)

> It's also nice to see a project migrating from C to C++ - for all the
> good reasons - but it's a hard and long task. I hope I could help
> migrating this project.

Any help is VERY appreciated :o))

Piotr