gcc-conf-discuss

Re: Idea for a GCC conference

From: Masayuki Ida
Subject: Re: Idea for a GCC conference
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:12:03 -0400 (EDT)

 >>Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:28:36 -0400
 >>From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <address@hidden>

Thank you Bkuhn,

 >>Masayuki Ida, a Japanese professor who works closely with the FSF, would
 >>like to organize a conference focusing on GCC.  As you on this list know,
 >>there is a great deal of interest in the compiler, particularly in the
 >>embedded community.  It is certainly an important and large enough project
 >>that it warrants its own conference.

I am not an expert of GCC. But I know we are truely relying on the
technology provided by GCC for many aspects. I have been thinking of
the importance of it and how I can support this with my ability.
It's not the issue on Linux things. It's not the issue on academic
toys. It's not the issue on just a dream. It's not the issue on
political game.     For me it's a matter of the creativity of people.

Also, I found many embedded systems including network equipments
industry, game machine industry, and many other software controlled
something are using GCC as users for their experiments and
sometimes for real products. And most of them have almost
no concerns about kernel.
Some of the random topics they have in their minds are
which CPU chip lines would be good in the future,
how we can improve the performance, And very details on hacks
and mechanisms.

Unless there is a conference or a workshop FOR GCC,
such engineers can not join and share the meetings,
especially for japanese. Because they are GCC users,
and NOT a part of Linux related, nor a part of language
design,.. they are the GCC users.
I think it is not a special situation for japanese.
It is common on this globe.
Of cause there are many other types of users, and
importantly implementors and designers of the language and
the libraries.

So, why not have a conferece for GCC?
I have a will and energy to carry out my role, once it is decided.
I need your help and concern.

Masa Ida