Re: [ft] Accessing localized chars in a font for slash char.

From: Michael IV
Subject: Re: [ft] Accessing localized chars in a font for slash char.
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 12:56:33 +0200

" with
native (TrueType) hinting enabled."

How do I enable it?

Also,do I have to use FT_FACE_FLAG_TRICKY   ?

Checked by Avast Antivirus. www.avast.com

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 12:26 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> FreeType doesn't take care of localization in any way.  You need a
>> higher-level library like Pango or ICU to activate locale handling
>> (i.e., selecting script and language for OpenType features).
>
> Thanks for that info.  Though I see in the docs glyph-to-script-map

(a) This is for the auto-hinter only.

(b) Unfortunately, it is currently unmaintained.  It's also out of
    date, since I have added a large bunch of scripts.

> I have another question regarding Chinese CJK glyph maps.  When I
> try to read outlines of such a glyph the coordiantes looks weird and
> when I render the shapes (triangulating it before that) it looks
> screwed.  [...]

It seems that you are looking at a composite fonts where the subglyphs
are scaled and shifted with bytecode instructions.

> Is there a way to handle this type of maps with Freetype to get
> correct path?

Please don't use the word `map'.  It's rather called `outline data'.

We call such fonts `tricky', which you can test with the
`FT_IS_TRICKY' macro.  To get outlines of such a font that can be
processed further, you should render the glyphs with calls to
FT_Load_Glyph at the font's ppem resolution (e.g., 1024 or 2048), with
native (TrueType) hinting enabled.

Michael Ivanov
Krios Software
kriosoftware.com