Re: [ft] Accessing localized chars in a font for slash char.

From: Michael IV
Subject: Re: [ft] Accessing localized chars in a font for slash char.
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 11:41:30 +0200

> I was using "slash" char (code 47) but then notices that the one
> which uses Adobe aftereffects is a little bit different.  (typing
> hebrew).  Then I inspected the font in the FontCreator program and
> found that it is possible to use default char (47) or localized one
> which is located at the end of the font glyph maps.Its glyph index
> is 587
>
> So if I explicitly insert that index into FT_Load_Glyph I am getting
> the correct localized slash char.

FreeType doesn't take care of localization in any way.  You need a
higher-level library like Pango or ICU to activate locale handling
(i.e., selecting script and language for OpenType features).

Thanks for that info.Though I see in the docs

glyph-to-script-map

Which i marked experimental....

I have another question regarding Chinese CJK glyph maps.When I try to read
outlines of such a glyph the coordiantes looks weird and  when I render the shapes (triangulating it
before that) it looks screwed. Now when I look at one of thos glyphs in FontForge I see that
all of them are not defined directly by a path but use sort of sub shapes from a private table
which compose the final glyph shape.And their coordinates when parsed by freetype have different
values from those defined in the font file.The probably apply some transformation on the final glyph.
Is there a way to handle this type of maps with Freetype to get correct path?

Thanks.

Checked by Avast Antivirus. www.avast.com

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was using "slash" char (code 47) but then notices that the one
> which uses Adobe aftereffects is a little bit different.  (typing
> hebrew).  Then I inspected the font in the FontCreator program and
> found that it is possible to use default char (47) or localized one
> which is located at the end of the font glyph maps.Its glyph index
> is 587
>
> So if I explicitly insert that index into FT_Load_Glyph I am getting
> the correct localized slash char.

FreeType doesn't take care of localization in any way.  You need a
higher-level library like Pango or ICU to activate locale handling
(i.e., selecting script and language for OpenType features).

Michael Ivanov
Krios Software
kriosoftware.com
Tel:+972 54 4962254