Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Windows x64 Build

From: Kenneth Miller
Subject: Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Windows x64 Build
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 22:03:54 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, I found that the freetype library can be quickly built for visual studio by doing the following:

Right click the project in the solution explorer
Go to properties
Then click on the Configuration Manager button
In the configuration manager, select the Active solution platform dropdown box, and then New

x64 should be suggested, but make sure that visual studio 2010 has the VC 64 extension or it may not show... or 2012 Express (I've built with 2012 and it works) whichever applies

Then you can build for x64. This is quickly verified that the project is targeting x64 by going to the builds/win32/vc2010/x64/Debug directory and using the dumpbin utility on the freetype lib file.

(be sure and run vcvarsall.bat [located in the Microsoft Visual Studio 11/VC folder] first)
dumpbin freetype250_D.lib /headers > headers

Use head or look at the first 100 lines, and you should see target x64 in there.

So, rather than you showing how to compile for x64, I think it more fitting that you assist users in the future; hosting the directions on the website as well as placing a win64 folder in there by going about the business of naming the target folders for 64 all proper and the like would be suitable. Then, for any future zip file releases, you can offer users a quick way to include the lib file! :-)

Hope you agree with this.