Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek fonts questions

From: Denis Jacquerye
Subject: Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek fonts questions
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 10:20:42 +0100

Hi,

Some designers have Cyrillic with slightly taller x-height (sometimes by a minute amount) to adjust the squareness of the script relative to the roundness of Latin, even glyphs that are usually components have adjusted outlines. Other designers recommend components but different spacing (slightly larger side bearings) instead of x-height to address the issue.

On 22 Sep 2013 08:47, "Dmitry Timoshkov" <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Werner,

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
>   1.  Do Cyrillic or Greek outline fonts exist which don't contain the
>       ASCII characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9?

I can speek only about Cyrillic here, but I haven't seen any cyrillic font
without latin letters and 0-9 digits. It simply doesn't make sence since
often texts have mixed cyrillic/latin-based context.

>   2.  Do you know of any Cyrillic or Greek fonts where the lowercase
>       and uppercase glyph heights differ from the heights of the Latin
>       glyphs?  Given that all three alphabets share e.g. characters
>       `A' and `o', this rather sounds implausible, but who knows...

Again regarding Cyrillic that's not the case, and very often for instance
truetype fonts (Arial is one of them) have cyrillic glyphs as a composite
of the existing latin ones with a transform/composition applied: an example
is: Я -> R with a mirroring transform attached.

--
Dmitry.