Re: [ft] Font rendering quality

From: jason campbell
Subject: Re: [ft] Font rendering quality
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:45:45 -0400

>I disagree.  There aren't any `poor hints'.  The font is simply
>designed to be rasterized as B/W only in this very range, and indeed
>it renders quite fine if you do so.

I'm basing that on looking at the hinted results in VTT. In VTT , whether viewing B/W or subpixel rendering, the hints "pinch" the stem widths to nearly no weight at all. It may be that the behavior of missing pixel recovery in B/W give some acceptable results, but the hints appear to be attempting to render the rounded stems much thinner than they should be.

--
Jason Campbell
address@hidden

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> But the rendering behavior you're seeing is because of poor hints,
> in particular the hints for the curved vertical strokes, between
> 9-27.

I disagree.  There aren't any `poor hints'.  The font is simply
designed to be rasterized as B/W only in this very range, and indeed
it renders quite fine if you do so.

> The gasp table does indeed call for grid fitting at those sizes, ...

The gasp table also says that you should use B/W rendering for those
sizes.

As you've correctly mentioned, there are serious problems with the
`post' table, but the hints are OK.