Re: [ft] Different rendering in 2.4.x and 2.3.5

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Different rendering in 2.4.x and 2.3.5
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 09:15:11 +0200 (CEST)

>> I can't tell you that without knowing details.  Most important:
>> Which font?  Do you see the artifacts with `ftview' also?
>
> arial
> no, I didn't try ftview.
> Do you need any other details?

[Testing with arial.ttf version 3.00]

The first row in your image is arial if used with the autohinter.  The
second row is arial hinted by the native bytecode hinter, however, it
is incorrect because at size 16ppem (as used in your image) there
shouldn't be any anti-aliasing.

But this doesn't explain the problem with your letter `I'.  I've just
tested with ftview, and I can't reproduce it, regardless of the
settings I try.

Note that FreeType currently doesn't support ClearType bytecode
hinting since it is completely undocumented.  Hopefully, we have
something working soon (a contributor is working on this).