[ft] Glyph name questions

From: Ian Britten
Subject: [ft] Glyph name questions
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:05:29 -0300

Hi all,
Does someone have a few minutes to answer a couple of specific
questions about glyph names?

- Is the name returned from FT_Get_GlyphName() suitable for use in
  a PostScript file (ie: glyphshow)?  Including for Unicode glyphs
  (eg: CJK)?

- What's the difference between FT_HAS_GLYPH_NAMES and
  FT_Has_PS_Glyph_Names()?  The docs suggest there may be a
  difference (re: TTF), but its unclear which one is 'better'.
  (eg: I have a font that seems to return true for
  FT_HAS_GLYPH_NAMES, and false for FT_Has_PS_Glyph_Names).

- If I'm using FT_Get_GlyphName() to write out a PS file, should I
  be using FT_Has_PS_Glyph_Names() instead of FT_HAS_GLYPH_NAMES?
  ie:  Is the difference rooted in what you're using it for, or is
  the difference rooted in the contents of the actual font?

- What's the difference between ".null" and ".notdef"?  Our code is
  currently checking for ".notdef", but I seem to be getting mostly
  ".null" for the glyphs, and I don't want to just naively change
  the code...
  [ Basically, if there's no matching glyph name, the code falls
  back to rendering the glyph as an outline, so that it visually
  looks correct in the generated PS file ]

- [Somewhat offtopic] Since apparently it's possible for a TTF to
  not have glyph names, how can I (and my users) tell whether a
  given TTF has names or not?  Something in FontForge maybe?
  ftinfo?  Some other tool?

Many thanks for any info!
Ian