Re: [ft] diff Pixel height

From: samaram s
Subject: Re: [ft] diff Pixel height
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:12:58 -0500

Thanks for the reply.

So,You mean irrespective of what ever we do...the BBox is Always negative.

In your previous reply you said,
the only way to get the exact metrics is to render _all_ glyphs.
Can you please give me some syntax how to load glyph to get exact metrics.

Reason is,Output from my program will be used by another tool,which doesnt understand the hinting process.So if i would like to provide the exact metrics of a glyph.How can i do?

Regards,
Sam

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> error = FT_Load_Glyph( face, glyph_index, FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING);
>
> Family name of the font is --- Arial
> Style name of the font is --- Regular
> bbox = [-1 0 9 9]
>
> *Xmin is still negative.

Yes!  I told you in a previous mail that the unhinted coordinate of
the leftmost pixel is NEGATIVE!  FreeType always rounds to the
extreme, thus you get -1 and not 0.

> Can you please provide me syntax if i am doing wrong in setting the
> flags.  How can i do if i want a MONOCHROME, RENDERED and NO_HINTING
> glyph metrics?

You mean glyph dimensions (the BBox), right?  Glyph metrics is the
advance width, for example, and this is independent from the outline.

Again: The only way to get an exact BBox for a given DPI is to render
the glyph!