[ft] Pitch Smaller Than Bitmap Width + Make Build Errors

From: Mickey Gabel
Subject: [ft] Pitch Smaller Than Bitmap Width + Make Build Errors
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 18:50:38 +0200

I found a strange case in FT2 (using 2.3.8) where I get a bitmap of width 20, but the pitch is 3.

It happens for Unicode point 215 (U+00D7 multiplication sign) and the font is simhei.ttf . If needed, I'll work on making a self contained C file that shows this. I can't use the FT2 demos because of a different issue (see below)

1) Is this a bug? It certainly doesn't look like valid behavior.
2) Is this a bug in FT2 or a bug in the font? Should a buggy font be able to cause that?

Another issue: I am trying to build ft2 using mingw make 3.81 and I get an error in the Makefile:

 C:\Development\FT2\freetype2>make.exe -v
 GNU Make 3.81
 PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

 This program built for i686-pc-mingw32

 C:\Development\FT2\freetype2>make
 process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, type builds\newline, ...) failed.
 make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
 make: *** [dos_setup] Error 2

This happens both with FT2 2.3.8 as well as the latest from CVS.
It also happens even when I use "make setup visualc" to skip detection.