Re: [ft] Pitch Smaller Than Bitmap Width + Make Build Errors

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Pitch Smaller Than Bitmap Width + Make Build Errors
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 21:50:03 +0100 (CET)

> I found a strange case in FT2 (using 2.3.8) where I get a bitmap of
> width 20, but the pitch is 3.
>
> It happens for Unicode point 215 (U+00D7 multiplication sign) and
> the font is simhei.ttf .

Which ppem?  Are embedded bitmap strikes involved?  Which version of
simhei.ttf?

> If needed, I'll work on making a self contained C file that shows
> this.

Please do.

> 1) Is this a bug? It certainly doesn't look like valid behavior.

I only have simhei.ttf version 3.02 which is quite old (it contains an
error BTW; there's a glyph which has a larger bbox than the font's
global bbox).  Here the multiplication sign looks just fine.

> 2) Is this a bug in FT2 or a bug in the font? Should a buggy font be
> able to cause that?

I can only imagine that you got an embedded bitmap glyph.

>  C:\Development\FT2\freetype2>make
>  process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, type builds\newline, ...) failed.
>  make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.
>  make: *** [dos_setup] Error 2

Hmm.  Never seen this.  Can anybody on the list assist?  I don't use
Windows...