Re: [ft] Standard Library Dependencies in freetype-2.3.7

From: Mickey Gabel
Subject: Re: [ft] Standard Library Dependencies in freetype-2.3.7
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:25:44 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:49:58 +0200
Mickey Gabel <address@hidden> wrote:

I am trying to use a customized FT2 build for an embedded system, where memcpy does not exist. In fact, most of the standard library is not there.

Oh, I was thinking memcpy() was standardized in C89 (so-called
ANSI C) and later standard C library has it. Do you mean you
want to use pre-C89 environment? FreeType2 is designed for
C89 and later, and I'm afraid that some available functions
(with same-name of C89 spec) works differently from C89 spec.
So you may get some errors that FreeType2 developers never
expected. Please post more detailed description on your environment.

Many embedded environments do not use the C standard library. IIRC even the Linux kernel can't use some of the C standard library, and instead uses similar functions with slightly different names. My environment is BREW, for example, that offers different versions for SOME of the standard library functions. (MALLOC instead of malloc, etc).
IIRC the C standard calls such environments "free standing".
There are many such environments in the embedded world.

If you disable anti-alias module, AAT/OpenType validator modules,
you can exclude most setjmp/longjmp, but I have no idea to disable
setjmp in src/sfnt/ttcmap.c.

Well I do need AA, but thanks.

Thanks to both you and Werner for the help.