[ft] How to compile universal freetype on MacOS X 10.4

From: Russell E Owen
Subject: [ft] How to compile universal freetype on MacOS X 10.4
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:41:17 -0700

I'm trying to build libfreetype 2.1.12 as a universal library (ppc and i386) on my PPC Mac (10.4.7 with XCode 2.4). I can build it, but so far the dylib is PPC-only.

I started from Apple Tech Note 2137:
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html>
but read elsewhere that their suggestion to set LDFLAGS is wrong and
will cause the build to fail.

So I've been trying this (which does work for building a universal
libpng, but not, alas, libfreetype):

$ CFLAGS="-O -g -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386
-arch ppc" \
   ./configure --disable-dependency-tracking
$ make

The result is a static libfreetype.a that appears to be universal:
file /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a: Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures
/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a (for architecture i386): current ar archive random library
/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a (for architecture ppc):    current ar archive

but libfreetype.dylib is definitely PPC-only and so far I'm not sure the libfreetype.a is actually OK.

Any hints?

-- Russell

P.S. apologies to readers on gmane for the double post; the posting didn't make it to the mailing list due to startup issues.