Re: [ft] mac fonts don't load on windows

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft] mac fonts don't load on windows
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:10:00 +0900

Hi

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:58:39 -0700
"Mark Maigatter" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Huib-Jan,
>
>From a user perspective, which type of Mac fonts did this affect...just
>the Mac PFB (Type 1) or was it more general?  How about OpenType fonts
>that are more the Postscript derived version?
>
>--mark

I think the reported bug arises in very specific case:

1. The font must be designed for (classic-)MacOS,
   it must have resource fork, and it must include
   "POST" resource in resource fork.

2. The font must be imported onto systems that has no
   care for resource fork (e.g. Unix, Windows, MS-DOS etc),
   by some conversions to include resourc fork.

In such case, when FreeType2 tries to load the imported
Mac PFB font, Mac_Read_POST_Resource() is executed, and
the bug arises in parsing "POST" resource, thus the loading
procedure is aborted. I think the bug has no effect to
OpenType designed for recent MacOS, because they don't
use "POST" resource anymore.

Regards,
mpsuzuki