Re: [ft] Convert set of character bitmaps to TrueType font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Convert set of character bitmaps to TrueType font
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:41:09 +0200 (CEST)

> I've got a set of character bitmaps (256-graylevel acquired from a
> camera image of a printed page) that I want to make into a TrueType
> font, but I really just want to use the raw grayscale bitmaps, not
> convert it into an outline font.  But I still want the font to be
> scalable (e.g. can be rendered at arbitrary rotation and/or scale).
> Is there a programmatic way to do this using the FreeType library?

FreeType doesn't contain code to scale and rotate bitmaps.  While
FontForge, for example, can create gray level bitmap fonts (either as
a BDF or as a TrueType bitmap font), I'm quite sure that most
platforms don't support the operations you want for those font
formats.

With other words, you either have to convert your font to pseudo
outlines (thus you no longer will have control over the gray levels),
or you have to write your own code to scale and rotate such bitmap
fonts.