[ft] Convert set of character bitmaps to TrueType font

From: Adam Wagman
Subject: [ft] Convert set of character bitmaps to TrueType font
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:39:08 -0500

I’ve got a set of character bitmaps (256-graylevel acquired from a camera image of a printed page) that I want to make into a TrueType font, but I really just want to use the raw grayscale bitmaps, not convert it into an outline font.  But I still want the font to be scalable (e.g. can be rendered at arbitrary rotation and/or scale).  Is there a programmatic way to do this using the FreeType library?  Note that I don’t need detailed glyph metrics (such as descenders), just the ability for the font to be renderable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam