RE: [ft] Bytecode enabled rendering

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft] Bytecode enabled rendering
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:29:24 +0100

Sorry, I jumped too quickly in the discussion.

If I recall correctly, the Tahoma fonts are hinted to
appear perfectly on the Windows font rasterizer.

Analysis has shown that in some cases, the Windows
engine produces incorrect results, regarding the vectors
it was passed as input.

By invalid, I mean that it cleary contradicts the TrueType
rasterizations rules, which are very strict. We believe it
is due to some rounding errors, probably the consequence
of different algorithms, say like the one used to compute
the intersections of bezier arcs and scanlines.

We have not the time to study this any further, nor even
provide patches to our bytecode interpreter or rasterizer.

If you can provide a patch, we'll accept it, but only after
careful testing, because it'd better not ruin the rendering
of other fonts for the sake of "optimizing" Tahoma and
Times New Roman.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner