Re: [ft] Oversized "O"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Oversized "O"
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:43:02 +0200 (CEST)

> - first of all, the behaviour *only* happens when
>   using the bytecode interpreter. this implies that:
>
> [...]
>
>    - what's you're seeing is the result of the instructions located
>      within the font file, this problem is also very similar to many
>      oddities exposed by TrueType hinted fonts, like disappearing
>      diagonals ('z' of Times New Roman Italic), or small holds in
>      the legs of many "k"s.

I just want to mention that some core fonts like Verdana rely on weird
rounding issues (read: bugs) within the MS hinting engine, causing
ugly additional pixels otherwise.  If you look up the archives you'll
find some discussion about it, together with screenshots.  Two
independent hinting engines (Rogier's and ours) clearly show that we
are right and MS is wrong.  Sadly, we can't do anything against that.