Re: [Freetype] Re: help modifying freetype demo.

From: Peter Montgomery
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Re: help modifying freetype demo.
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:52:52 -0800

George,

You need to treat the grayscale image created by FreeType as an alpha
channel.  If the system you are using does not need pre-multiplied RGB,
then all you have to do is to create an RGBA image that's compatible
with your Mesa context, fill it with a solid color, and then replace the
alpha with the FreeType image.   If you need pre-multiplied RGB, then
you'll do the previous steps and then multiply RGB by A at each pixel.
Remember, you can quickly special case alpha = 255 and alpha = 0 by
simply leaving RGB alone or setting it to 0,0,0 respectively.  As for
the rest, the pseudo-code looks like this:

Red Pixel = Red Pixel * ( (1 / 255) * Alpha)
Green Pixel = Green Pixel * ( (1 / 255) * Alpha)
Blue Pixel = Blue Pixel * ( (1 / 255) * Alpha)

Be aware that this is a very inefficient way (using division, floating
point math, etc) to achieve the correct result, but at least it shows
you what is going on.

    Thanks,
    PeterM