Re: [Freetype] Freetype is very slow at opening large Postscript Asian

From: Peter Montgomery
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Freetype is very slow at opening large Postscript Asian fonts...
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 10:37:14 -0800

Ryan,

> The *2 for an embedded system with limited memory probably isn't the
> best solution, unless you add some kind of scaleback factor for cases
> where you can't get that much memory (and possibly introduce a maximum
> increase size).

So, add an "EMBEDDED" flag that conditionally changes certain areas of
code to be more memory efficient.  The fact is, the approach of doubling
memory allocations is exactly what languages like C++ do with their
string classes.  This is to prevent the sort of nasty slowdowns that an
approach like "+= 1024" will give.

The real question is, should FreeType be forced to be slower just so
that it is more memory efficient on embedded systems.  My vote is no.
Clearly you can't be all things to all people.  However, to penalize all
the Asian fonts with thousands of characters (and millions of Asians
users reading them) so that embedded apps work better does not seem like
a real solution.  I really do believe that a simple conditional compile
flag will solve the case for both camps without any problems.

    Thanks,
    PeterM