RE: [Freetype] New documents available

From: Giuliano Pochini
Subject: RE: [Freetype] New documents available
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:56:49 +0100 (CET)

On 07-Nov-2002 David Turner wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    you'll find a new version of the "smooth hinting" document at
>    the following address, including screenshots:
>
>      http://www.freetype.org/hinting/smooth-hinting.html

Interesting. The screenshots show quite well what has been
changed and FT2.1 looks better overall than 2.0. Text brightness
is now constant in all characters, which is fine, but the loss
of crispness is strange and IMHO can be avoided. Vertical stems
are ofter drawn with a "shadow" at their side. Look at one of
these chars "hlikdtnLE", the stem is full black, so only a side
of it has been grid-aligned. It only happen with vertical stems,
while horizontal ones are perfect. Also round parts don't have
that the shadow, strange. You can try to enforce better
alignment of strictly vertical stems.
"g" looks better with FT2.0, but it's probably a random quirk.

Why did you write an hinter for LCD sub-pixels ?  I think that
rendering text at triple width works just fine with the default
hinter, or am I missing something ?

Bye.