Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:23:17 -0700

At 02:02 PM 8/22/2002 +0400, Vadim Plessky wrote:
do you have some alpha/beta code for this separate program (bytecode editor)?
It would be interesting to take a look on it.
The source code is available from
        http://pfaedit.sf.net/TtfMod/
I'm not distributing built versions because
  a) it doesn't work well yet
b) these run up against Apple's patents and I want to leave that decision to the
        users.

What I really would like to see in PfaEdit is capability to import all
TrueType hints (bytecodes) "as is", and export TrueType font file with
exactly those hints.
Sadly this will never be. PfaEdit is too entrenched in postscript. but ttfmod will do this now. PfaEdit wants to convert things into its internal format but figuring out what hints are implied by truetype bytecodes is essentially impossible and different "hints" may be in effect at different point-sizes.

Besides, you can estimate than *in numbers* how complicated TrueType hinting
(number of OpCodes per glyph), and compare that to PS hinting.
Not really. How do you count subroutine calls? How do you deal with the 'prep' and 'fpgm' tables? How do you compare 'cvt ' to BlueValues/StemSnap?