Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?

From: Vadim Plessky
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Autohinting?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 12:09:07 +0400

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 3:21 am, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
|  > |  That is very interesting.  How does one manually re-hint their
|  > |  Type 1 fonts?  Do you need expensive Adobe software?  Is such
|  > |  software available for Linux?  I imagine you are getting a grid
|  > |  on your screen with the glyph shown with big pixels, and you can
|  > |  move the dots around where you want then write that modified font
|  > |  to a file?
|  >
|  > I use *old*, *very old* version of FontLab (http://www.fontlab.com)
|  > They have ver.4.0 available at a moment, it costs around $400.  This
|  > proigram is available for MS Windows, and, may be, for Macintosh.
|  > It's not available for Linux.
|
|  pfaedit is free and supports automatic hinting also.  You should
|  actually test whether it covers your needs.

Thank for notice, I am happy that pfaedit matured.
Problem is that when I started enhancing/editing fonts (1+ year ago), pfaedit
was just not ready.
Also, by reading some fonts-related reviews, I found that different font
experts rated FontLab at *the only* font/typeface editor ready for
*professional* (read: production-quality) use.
It's fine with me that someone finds URW fonts of great quality, and edits
them in pfaedit, but I havce different opinion on this.
Do you have any reference to font(s) created/enhanced in pfaedit?
How good they are, in your opinion?

|  > Than you check a whole font character by character, and: * enhance
|  > outlines (remove unnecessay nodes, add nodes at extreme points, move
|  > some points, etc.)
|
|  pfaedit can do that for most points automatically.

ok, let's see. Pls provide URLs to fonts produced by pfaedit, and your opinion
on those fonts.

( I am aware about modified URW fonts at
ftp://ftp.gnome.ru/fonts/urw/release/, and currently evaluate  quality of
those fonts)